Information

13 January 2011

Tiger Mothers?

Has anyone else read the article "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior"by Amy Chua? It seems like it has been popping up everywhere. I have mixed feelings about the article myself. I am all for demanding more out of kids - I think I would not have done as well as I did in school had I not been pushed in the right direction. Still, Chua's insistence on shirking praise really bugs me. I think that you should be taught from an early age to be proud of your accomplishments. Also, what is up with the only acceptable musical instruments being the violin or the piano? Way to enforce stereotypes lady.
 I think that Jenny Zhang's response piece on Jezebel does a really good job of talking about similar feelings she has had.

Chinese "Tiger Mom" defends strict parenting (msnbc)

No comments: