Information

31 October 2010

generic hot costume...

In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.  
- Mean Girls

I have never been one for the "sexy" Halloween costume. Last year I was Frida Kahlo, a really fun and simple costume to make. The year before I was a 60s mod girl with a cute graphic black and white dress. Earlier this week I was Where's Waldo. But last night I was a delinquent prep school girl.
I chose that costume because I wanted to see what it would be like to fit in someone else's idea of sexy. Apparently being a "hot" girl involves wearing so much polyester that I feared someone's lit cigarette would cause me to burst into flames. Also, the whole costume was slightly itchy. The most uncomfortable part was actually my shoes, I'm not a big high heel wearer but it seemed like a trampy school girl needs stripper heels to complete the look. Honestly it was sort of interesting to put on all of this female drag costuming as I rarely wear makeup in my everyday life.
At the beginning of the night I was overcome with the need to assert myself. I wanted to constantly mention something about my Master's program. I felt that I had to be immediately n the defensive. I had always thought that you wear has no actual bearing on how smart you are. But why then the desire to suddenly prove my own intelligence? It's a costume!
The costumes that are worn on Halloween are a lot like the costumes we wear every day. We choose them to present a certain part of ourselves. I always love very creative or handmade costumes because of the amount of thought involved. I also understand the desire to do the "sexy" costume. It's fantasy. I think that if you want to go in that direction, I say go for it. Own it. But first ask yourself, who's fantasy is it?

No comments: