Information

31 August 2010

cultural artifact

I have a presentation to give on Thursday about a cultural artifact. I have chosen this year's September issue of American Elle. It is on newsstands now and has Julia Roberts on the cover. The September issue of a fashion magazine is always the biggest - it showcases the trends for fall. I picked this artifact because I am fascinated by the business of fashion. Have you seen The September Issue? It's a really amazing documentary about the making of the 2007 September issue of Vogue. Even the boyfriend admitted to liking seeing all the insanity, genius, and drama that comes with making a fashion magazine. We are supposed to give background information about the artifact in context and discuss it's significance. In general, I love fashion magazines. I chose Elle because it is both a physical object as well as virtual - Elle has a virtual edition and operates more than 20 websites. Of all fashion magazine's, Elle is reported to be the largest in terms of circulation. It's also an interesting object to think about as some see print media as becoming obsolete. Elle was also featured on the reality show The City.


No comments: